Friday, June 29, 2012

Homemade Healthy Peanut Butter Dog Snacks!

OUR HOUNDHERD LOVES TREATS

But first things first!  Some  dogs have peanut allergies just like humans do. KNOW your dog and the allergies within! If you even think your dog might be allergic to peanuts...  avoid this recipe!

However, if you know your dog is free to enjoy peanut butter, this recipe is a healthy way to treat your pet!  So many store bought treats come from China and are unsafe! Many of these treats have been causing kidney failure and/or liver damage.
Much safer coming from your own kitchen!

I started with a half recipe for 3 reasons...

1. All I had on hand was Jif, a bit pricy for doggie treats!

2. I wanted to make sure the HoundHerd liked them before I ended up with a huge zip lock baggie full of treats no doggie wanted!

3. We are living in a 30' fifth wheel! NO OVEN! But I do have one of the smaller toaster ovens, so I made a smaller batch to fit the smaller oven.

I am giving you the 1/2 batch recipe because of #2.
I want your doggies to have a test batch, then you can make as many as you want. They freeze well!


PEANUT BUTTER TREATS

1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Milk
Mix well....  blender or hand mixer works well.
Add 1 Cup WHOLEWHEAT FLOUR.
(The lady  that shared this recipe stressed the whole wheat flour because dogs digest it better!)
1/2 tsp baking powder.
Bake at  350 for 20 minutes.


That's it, that's all there is to it! It should look like this when you are done. Thick, I had to use a spoon to finish mixing it, it bogged down my hand mixer! THINK THICK!



 Peanut butter makes it an oily batter so it doesn't stick to your hands when you pat it down into a pan. I lined my pan with foil, but now that I have taken the treats out, I don't think foil is necessary. Left the pan cleanly. I patted the dough down to about 1/2 inch thickness. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes!
However, you may have to adjust baking times suitable to your oven and the thickness of your patted out dough!

We keep our toaster oven outside in the summer! Just too hot to bake anything indoors!  Supposed to hit 105 here today in Hurricane Utah. YIKES.


That's it, that's all there is to it! It should look like this when you are done. I used the egg turner to divide the treats into bite sized pieces. Sort of a brownie texture, crunchy outside and chewy inside.

Now, I would love to show you photos of how much the HoundHerd loved these, but I don't care what shutter speed I used, I couldn't get the camera focused quickly enough before the treats were gone! It was either give up on the pictures or end up feeding them a whole tray of treats! A big 3 WOOFS from Scotty, DoogieBowser and Radar!

This recipe was given to me a day or so before we left Zion! Nice lady camped a few spaces down who fell in love with the HoundHerd. I hurried home, quickly wrote it down and finally made them today and wanted to share it with you!

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU from the crew of
The MotherShip, Chuck and Geri, our HoundHerd
Scotty, DoogieBowser and Radar!


11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is simple. Bet my grand-doggie Buster is going to love it when I make him some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 104 today in Tennessee (so far) so I think I'll wait before I do any baking. :)

    Are you aware that you have that awful word verification thing on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I am sure Buster will love these treats!

    To Emma... 104 in Tennessee... wow! I know the "awful" word verification thingee is on, but it prevents spammers! Only other alternative is to totally close off the comments section like Bayfield Bunch and Spotted Dog.

    To Kenny and Angela, let me know if your hounds like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millie LOVES peanut butter and I've been looking for an easy way to make her homemade treats and avoid the Chinese stuff. These look like they'll be just perfect-- thanks foe sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne! I hope Millie will like the as much as my 3 doggies do! Let me know, ok?

      Delete
  5. I love the way you explain how to make the doggie treats. I felt like I was in the kitchen with you. Doogie Bowser, Radar and Scottie live very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, your doggie crew deserve peanut butter treats! LOL! Go to the Goodwill and buy a toaster oven... just for Spike and Bridget! They will let you use it to bake them treats. You will not be allowed to "actually cook something"! LOL

      Delete
  6. Must make these for the grandpups! Might even snag one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heck, what's not to like here? Ducks could eat this, too - it's a peanut butter sandwich! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!!! We would love to hear from you!!!