Sunday, September 2, 2012

Mountain Spirits RV Park - Our new job!

I know you were probably expecting a blog about Canyon de Chelly, but we have been getting a lot of emails wanting to know about our new workamping job!  So here is a quickie blog about working at Mountain Spirits RV Park. 
Entrance to our park
 
We are located in Mimbres New Mexico, about 20 miles  east of Silver City! 
 

This is the view out our back window!

Meet our bosses, Wanda and Bill!

 This is only a 20 space campground with full hook-ups. Several of the guests are long-term. They are working with the local copper mine.  We have a couple who are staying here a few weeks to get out of the heat in Yuma AZ!  It is nice and cool here!  We have low 80's days and low 60's at night! Low humidity almost everyday! Perfect!

 The MotherShip is docked right in front of the office so we can keep an eye on things. Chuck and I work 3 days and off 4 days.


 Yesterday, to celebrate Labor Day Weekend, we had great food and fun!  The park provided hot dogs, buns, beverages and desserts and the rest of us brought covered dishes! Wanda decorated the office and organized the event!


Bill cooked the hot dogs on his humongous grill!  Chuck has the hots for this BBQ Grill and wants one like it! Yeah, like where would we store it???

 Everybody lines up for a delicious meal!


Wanda applies liberal amounts of mustard
to her dog!
 

.
Wanda and B.J. get ready to pig out!
 
Bruce and Elaine eat outside and share tidbits with their dog Cleo.

Cleo is grateful!
 
B.J. and Vicki are ready for the parade to begin!
 
 
So is the crowd of onlookers!
Left to right:
Elaine, Bruce, Bill, Chuck (not my Chuck!) and Clay!
 
 
 
YAY! Let the parade begin!
Left to right:
Vicki, B.J., Linda and Wanda on the tailgate!
 
 
This is really a fun little park! Folks stick around a little longer and you build new friendships easier.
Larger RV parks might pay you more, but they are hectic and when folks only stay over for a day or two you don't get a real chance to know them! We are enjoying our time here!
 
Workamping is what Chuck and I do.  We trade our labor for free rent and full hook-ups. Here, we work 3 days and have 4 days off to go explore.  Since we are not super busy here with reservations or dozens of folks coming in and out of our office with all kinds of questions... our days are laid back.  I clean the 2 beautiful restroom/shower areas, water the plants, sweep and keep the office neat and tidy and run the register.  We have storage units here also, about 50, so we collect rent on them and we also sell LP gas. Chuck fills the LP tanks, pulls weeds and waters all the green areas. This area is a lot greener than Truth or Consequences ! A lot of local farming means a great little farmers market just down the road every Thursday!  Love the fresh farms eggs, so rich the yolks are almost neon orange instead of pale yellow!
So far, we have been very happy here and we love the cooler temperatures! The cottonwoods are beginning to change colors across the field from here, down next to the Mimbres River!
 
Well, that's it for now from the crew of the MotherShip! Geri, Chuck and our HoundHerd
Scotty, DoogieBowser, and Radar!
 
Happy Trails to you until we meet again!
 
 
 

19 comments:

  1. I'm looking at that bowl of fresh tomatoes on the table, and think it's a great place to workamp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you usually do volunteer gigs, or did this one especially appeal? How do you choose your spots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy and Emma.... I had 3 slices of tomato and they were the best of the summer! Yes, it is a grest place to workamp! Tomorrow we will be doing zentangles! Look it up on www.zentangle.com!

    Good Luck Duck... We usually get a small hourly wage at the larger RV parks. This one is too small to afford an hourly wage, but they give a decent bonus at the end of 3 months. We chose to work here after finding the job on workamper.com. We liked it for several reasons. 1. Three month commitment, most parks require you stay 6 months. 2. SMALL! Last park we worked in Zion was 200+ sites! Crazy! 3. We haven't spent much time in this area of NM and we want to explore the Gila Hot Springs and Gila Cliff Dwellings nearby. If you are interested in workamping, you might want to check out Amazon.com! They hire thousands of workampers from Oct to just a few days before Christmas and the pay is fantastic! They provide you with great campgrounds too, paying all expenses! Amazon has several warehouses that hire workampers every Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome park guys! Great info, and as always great pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard mixed reviews of Amazon. Some say they would never do it again, and thereafter boycott shopping there! The good reviews say it worked their buttocks off, but the pay almost made up for it. I'm more the $1.50/hour kinda gal for a laid back gig.

    Hey, I'm gonna keep reading you guys! I may not comment much, because the word verification is getting more vexing. It's not that my eyes are getting worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew how to change the word verification thing, but I am not geek enough!

      Delete
  6. You look like you found a nice place to work. Very enjoyable. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice spot and only three days at week. That's the gig we hope to find when we take off next year. I took in the comment about smaller parks...sounds like the better choice. Enjoy NM...sounds like you have from the perfect location for exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill, Ann and CJ.... it is a great gig and ya'll would love it. The 3 days a week are a very slow laid back 8 hours a day, not hectic and crazy like the big parks! If you are interested in workamping here, add 575 area code to the number above or send them a resume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauiful location you are in. We really enjoy Silver City and the Gila Cliff Dwellings. BTW, after your post on Bluff, we have added your stops to our upcoming itinerary, recently posted on our blog. Thanks for the info! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will love the Bluff Utah area! We usually stay a week or so every time we go and still haven't seen it all. Before you head out that way, email me and I'll answer any questions you might have! Diana... owner of Caddilac Ranch is also full of good info! Tell her Chuck and Geri say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your new job! The park looks like a fun park to stay in, partly because of how jolly you were in those pictures. :) And I feel like I want to also join in on your parade. ;) Anyway, I wish you well on your job!

    Rosalinda Rudloff

    ReplyDelete
  12. After seeing those happy faces of the people there, I would probably stay for a month in this RV Park. You can clearly tell by their faces that they’re having a great time. Looks like you enjoyed taking pictures of them as well. Anyway, how is you work there now?

    >Kurt Bukowski

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kurt, we worked here from July to Dec., so our work time there is over! We were workampers. We traded our time, 20 hours per week, and the total of 40 hours paid for our rent, electric and wifi. It is a very fun place to stay and to workamp!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My wife and I worked there just as you do. Work campers. The people were all real nice. I only had one problem with the size of my camper it was just too small. I will never forget how the job was it was the easiest job I ever had. The owners were easy going and pleasant. There is a certain amount of romance that my wife and I share about new Mexico and probably will return for a visit. When we were there going into the country of Mexico was easy, all you needed was a driver's license to go into or out of Mexico. My wife had a root canal and crown there for like $500.00. The border town was Columbus I think aND it was an easy trip you could make in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wife and I worked there just as you do. Work campers. The people were all real nice. I only had one problem with the size of my camper it was just too small. I will never forget how the job was it was the easiest job I ever had. The owners were easy going and pleasant. There is a certain amount of romance that my wife and I share about new Mexico and probably will return for a visit. When we were there going into the country of Mexico was easy, all you needed was a driver's license to go into or out of Mexico. My wife had a root canal and crown there for like $500.00. The border town was Columbus I think aND it was an easy trip you could make in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My wife and I worked there just as you do. Work campers. The people were all real nice. I only had one problem with the size of my camper it was just too small. I will never forget how the job was it was the easiest job I ever had. The owners were easy going and pleasant. There is a certain amount of romance that my wife and I share about new Mexico and probably will return for a visit. When we were there going into the country of Mexico was easy, all you needed was a driver's license to go into or out of Mexico. My wife had a root canal and crown there for like $500.00. The border town was Columbus I think aND it was an easy trip you could make in a day.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message!!! We would love to hear from you!!!