Monday, October 15, 2012

Migrating Birds in NM

I was ambitious this morning!  We are back home in Truth or Consequences NM for the weekend.  It's only 90 miles from where we are workamping in Mimbres NM until end of Nov.  I was out hanging just washed sheets on the clothes line when I heard  a loud ruckus in the early morning sky!  Looked up and saw ribbons of sand hill cranes flying south!  Several dozen "V" formations... hundreds of birds in early morning flight!  What a treat!  It reminded me of my visit to Bosque del Apache, a wildlife refuge just north of here near Socorro.

I thought I would share those two links with you in case you missed them last year!

http://www.phunnyfarm.blogspot.com/2011/11/bosque-del-apache.html     

And:

http://phunnyfarm.blogspot.com/2011/11/more-cranes-and-bosque-del-apache.html


I am trying to put together a blog about the beautiful Mimbres Valley where we are workamping!  I should have it ready in about a week!  I am not as ambitious as most of my blogging friends who blog daily or weekly! I am lucky if I can get one blog a month posted!  But I hope you enjoy visiting the 2 blogs above, Bosquw del Apache is a beautiful refuge!

12 comments:

  1. We've been at South Monticello campground the past week and have enjoyed seeing hundreds of American white pelicans fly by and stop along the little bit of water that's left here. Haven't seen the cranes yet. This is one of our favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we had known sooner that you are in Elephant Butte, we would have come by to say "howdy!" We were at Groovy Grita Sat night!!! We leave tomorrow for Mimbres! One place you would love to visit is the ghost town of Chloride.. about 35 miles west of Elephant Butte! Look it up on our blog! Great little campground FHU and wonderful 4x4 ride through Chloride Canyon! Enjoy your stay here!blog...

      Delete
  2. oh. . .I so want to make it to that area during a migration. . .so glad you were able to witness such a beautiful event!

    Janice
    ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have time! 2-4 more weeks for prime viewing!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a whole lot of birds. Must have been a thrill to see. Look forward to seeing Mimbres Valley and TnC homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come by anytime Gaelyn! Best to see Bosque del apache in early November for the most birds!

      Delete
  4. I got up for the dawn flight of the cranes back in 2010 at Bosque. I just love to listen to their voices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more ambitious than I am.... but then I drove up from Truth or Consequences about 10am and stayed until after sunset! It was sooo cool to hear them in the sky above me this morning!

      Delete
  5. As Judy says, I too love to hear them converse with one another. They are an amazing sight and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Geri! Boy, you brought back great memories of those "ribbons across the sky." I loved hearing them first thing in the morning . . . a very New Mexico sound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the links. We have such great memories of our visit to Bosque del Apache, and those amazing Sandhill Cranes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to miss the mass migration this year, we will still be workamping in Mimbres NM! I am so glad I went last year. Amazing place to visit during migration time!

      Delete

Leave us a message!!! We would love to hear from you!!!